Many a morning at Londolozi begins with a delicious muffin!
That feeling of returning from your morning safari, having another Amarula coffee and indulging in one of the muffins whilst looking out over the Sand River is second to none.
One of my most favourite times of the day, is walking into the Londolozi Kitchen just before the sun comes up and smelling the delicious aromas from the bakery of muffins and croissants.
At Londolozi we serve a different muffin daily, so I wanted to share with you the ‘base muffin’ recipe which is perfect to add whatever variation you’d like. These are so quick and easy to make and what’s great about this particular muffin mixture is that it keeps in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Londolozi’s Bran Muffins
- 15oz / 425g All Bran Flakes
- 1 Cup / 225g Melted Butter
- 2 Cups / 400g Brown Sugar
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- 1 Quart / 600ml Buttermilk
- 1.5 Cups / 128g Brown Flour
- 1.5 Cups / 128g White Flour
- 2 Tsps Baking Powder
- 2 Tsps Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 200*C / 400*F.
- Blend the bran flakes until they resemble a flour type consistency.
- Mix them together with the sugar, salt, flours, baking powder and soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs , melted butter and milk
- Add your variation at this stage
- Mix together until all combined – not too much!
- Fill your muffin tray and bake for 15-20 minutes – use a skewer to test, if it comes out clean, they’re ready!
Variations – 2 cups blueberries / 2 cups nut / 2 cups grated apple / 1 cup grated zucchini and 1 cup grated carrot
Please let me know how you go in the comments section below. See you soon for more deliciousness with Londolozi’s Lockdown Larder!