One might imagine a trip from New York to the Southern tip of Africa to be a long, difficult and demanding travel experience. Quite the opposite is in fact true as Shan and I recently discovered.
Having just completed a week’s visit to New York we were impressed to find out what a convenient and enjoyable travel experience this was.
From the perspective of a US traveller, the journey starts with an easy morning ride to JFK, followed by a lowly congested check-in at the fabulous and modernized JFK Terminal 4.
Take-off time is a convenient 11:15 in the morning followed by an on-board lunch, and after watching a standard movie, one can anticipate a further 10 hours of straight rest before an acceptable morning arrival time into Johannesburg.
The SAA New York to Johannesburg flight then connects conveniently to SA Airlink’s seamless 50-minute jet service to Skukuza, which is followed by a short ten-minute flight on a modern Cessna Caravan aircraft (included in the ticket price), bringing you to Londolozi where lunch is served on deck, overlooking elephants feeding in the river below.
In just 24 hours since leaving New York, you find yourself in the heart of 6 million acres; the largest Savannah wilderness in the world. New York to Londolozi for lunch has indeed become a reality!
The homeward bound journey is equally as convenient, departing Londolozi on Airlink after lunch for an easy connection to the SAA – NY flight, departing OR Tambo at 19:30. Arrival into JFK is at 5:40am; in time to beat the morning traffic congestion into NY.
Some facts to consider:
- The flight is 14 hours 40 minute, non-stop (just 3hrs and 50 minutes longer than Johannesburg to London)
- South African Airways makes use of a modern Airbus 340-600 on this route and connects seamlessly to the regional airline jet service to Londolozi.
- The departure time (11:15) from JFK in the morning is easy and super convenient traffic-wise and makes use of JFK’s ultra-modern Terminal 4 where passenger congestion is also minimal.
- After take-off, lunch is served and, if you follow your meal with a standard movie of give or take an hour or two, you have the opportunity for a pleasant 10hrs before beginning your decent into ORT, South Africa’s international gateway airport, where passport control for international travellers is convenient, fast and efficient.
- The arrival time of SAA – New York flight connects well to the Airlink one-hour, super-fast jet service to Skukuza, from where an onward 8-minute hop in an ultra-modern Caravan aircraft places you at Londolozi private airstrip by latest 11:30 SA time.
- A five-minute ride in an open Land Rover brings you to the lodge for a leisurely check-in and pre-lunch drink on the viewing deck of one of Londolozi’s five luxury camps.
- All flying costs are included in one seamless SAA ticket, New York to Londolozi.
So why not come to Londolozi for lunch?
Shan and I just completed the 24-hour, door-to-door overnight flight experience, and found it to be thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable. A shout out goes also to our National carrier – South African Airways – whose improved service and modernized aircraft equipment is a credit to South Africa – a fun and friendly place where wildlife, whales and wine awaits you.