You would have read in previous blogs that we have the most beautiful veggie & herb gardens growing in our Village.
Headed up by Reckson Dhlamini and Jess MacLarty, we now have 36 gardens brimming with rocket, parsley, spinach, basil, mint and much more!
All of this deliciousness is grown proudly by the Londolozi staff – from the housekeepers, to the habitat team, butlers and chefs.
The kitchen subsidises the staff with each 100g of veg they bring in, which assists them in buying more seeds, growing vegetables for themselves and supporting their families.
The Londolozi Kitchen is very lucky to receive these completely organic veggies in to the kitchen three times a week – making the chefs very happy!
It’s a great moment when one of the ladies or Frank (aka Spinach Green Leaves) walk into the kitchen with their harvest of vegetables & herbs.
On our current lunch menu, we have chosen to name the salad the ‘2020 Village Salad’ – this in keeping with our 2020 vision highlighting sustainability, freshness and co-creation.
Our infamous Londolozi Sexy Salad Dressing (something sure to make you feel absolutely fabulous each and every time you drizzle it on your salad) which graces each Boma Salad Bar is also made from all the herbs in the gardens!
One of my most requested recipes, I will share this with you all today…
2020 Village Salad
1 x bunch fresh spinach
1 x bunch fresh rocket (arugula)
300g haloumi cheese
200g roasted butternut
50g toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Peel & cut the butternut into cubes.
2. Sprinkle with cinnamon & drizzle with honey and olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes at 180’C
3. Cut the Halloumi cheese into batons and grill in a hot pan until soft, yet crispy on the outside.
4. Wash the spinach & rocket well (you should always wash spinach at least 6 times to remove any grit!)
5. Roughly rip the spinach into pieces
6. Arrange the leaves in a bowl, layering up with the grilled halloumi & butternut.
7. Drizzle with the Sexy Salad Dressing and sprinkle with the roasted pumpkin seeds for some extra crunch
Londolozi Sexy Salad Dressing
1 x whole bunch of herbs – coriander, parsley, chives, basil
3 x tbsp wholegrain mustard
500ml olive oil
100ml red wine vinegar
5 x cloves fresh garlic, crushed
Salt & Pepper to season
1. Put all the ingredients in a blend and blend until smooth!
2. Pour into a bottle and keep in the fridge
3. Enjoy drizzled over salad leaves
Another great use of fresh spinach is our Londolozi Spinach Salad that is easy to put together and deliciously festive for any Christmas table!
Londolozi Spinach Christmas Salad
3 Bunches spinach (you can also use baby spinach if you prefer)
3 Red Onions roasted and cut into wedges
1 Red Pepper seeds removed and cut into triangles
1 Yellow Pepper seeds removed and cut into triangles
125g blue cheese, crumbled
½ Cup olive oil
½ Cup balsamic vinegar
50g pitted dates, soaked in hot water until soft
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Wash the spinach well – rip into pieces (or if using baby spinach, keep whole)
2. Roast the onions & peppers in the oven with a little olive oil, until soft and cooked
3. For the Dressing: Blend the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and dates until smooth. Season with salt & pepper
1. Layer the spinach leaves with a few roasted onions, peppers and crumbled blue cheese up on a plate. Crumble the remaining blue cheese on top.
2. When ready to serve, drizzle the dressing over.
Anna’s Tip: It is always great to have a jar of roasted peppers in the fridge to add to any salad. Roast the peppers with lots of olive oil. When done, remove the skins and place in a jar, using the oil they were roasted in. Top up with a little more olive oil and add a sprig of rosemary for flavour!
I hope you enjoy these recipes and look forward to hearing from you should you have any questions!
Happy salad making!