OMG! I love the crunchies so much – maybe even more than the baboons! I wish I was back at Londolozi right now.
Whilst we will often give you a little behind-the-scenes look at what the Londolozi kitchen is producing, all that may serve to do is make you wish you were here sampling the goodness whilst listening to a lion roar in the distance or sipping on an ice cold gin and tonic at tea time. It would be far easier to make that connection to this piece of African paradise if you could actually taste what you are seeing in the photos, even though you may be thousands of miles away.
Taste and smell are apparently the two most evocative sense when it comes to nostalgia.
That being said, we thought we’d reward everyone today with the recipes and preparation instructions for some of Londolozi’s most iconic offerings; the world-famous breakfast muesli, the morning game drive crunchies, and the choc-chip cookies.
Londolozi Toasted Muesli:
Place the following Ingredients into a pot,
- 250g Butter
- 250ml Vegetable oil
- 250ml Brown sugar
- 250ml Golden syrup
- 125ml Good honey
Heat until all sugar is dissolved.
Then place the rest of these ingredients into a baking dish and cover with the melted syrup mixture.
- 500g Jungle Oats
- 375g All Bran Flakes
- 375g Fibre Bran
- 250g Puffed Wheat
- 250ml Wheat germ
- 250ml Sunflower seeds
- 250ml Sesame seeds
- 250ml Shredded coconut
- 500g Mixed nuts
- 1kg Chopped mixed dried fruits
Place in oven at 100 C.
Turning occasionally as the mixture browns – This takes a long time so pour a cup of coffee and enjoy the aromas of toasting muesli!
- 2 cups oats (porridge oats/rolled oats)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup coconut desiccated
- 1 cup sugar
- 250 g butter
- 2 tablespoon syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Mix oats, flour, sugar and coconut.
- Melt margarine and syrup and then add the bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix margarine and flour mixture together.
- Pat mixture into a greased baking tray.
- Bake at 180’C for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Cut into squares while still hot and then allow to cool, store in airtight jars.
Londolozi Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 2 1/2 Cups of Oats
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 300g Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Macadamia Nuts
- Cream the butter and the sugars together
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the oats, salt and baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and the grated chocolate along with the nuts.
- Roll mixture into balls and press out onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes at 200 degrees C.
Filed under Wildlife
Thanks Jeff! we look forward to welcoming you back in January for more deliciousness!