One cannot help driving through the bush and noticing particular game paths or ‘ideal’ spots that you reckon animals would enjoy. And while we check on these as often as we can, there is always a little seed of wonder as to what goes on while we are on the other side of the reserve or even warmly tucked into our beds at night.

With this in mind I decided to put up a camera trap in the Tugwaan drainage line in hopes of capturing some of these secret moments. Thanks to Phill Judd, a regular Londolozi guest who sponsored the camera, we have been able to do just that.

I hope you enjoy this selection of what has been happening in the Tugwaan drainage over the last few weeks.

Londolozi_labels_black copy copy

The red dot marks the spot where I set up the camera trap.

M2E1L0-0R350B300

A hippo saunters by, unaware that his portrait was being snapped away!

M2E67L211-211R408B327

A breeding herd of elephant

M2E71L217-217R408B331

Family day out

M2E71L218-218R408B331

Sibling rivalry.

M2E69L213-213R408B329

Two buffalo bulls feed past.

M2E55L193-193R408B309

The Tamboti female, with her beautifully coloured coat

M2E1L0-0R350B300

A sneaky hyena out in search of a meal

M2E55L194-194R408B310

Ranger Greg Pingo and tracker Andrea Sithole following Tamboti’s tracks!

M2E69L213-207R408B329

Inquisitive monkey

M2E71L216-216R408B332

A young bushbuck just makes it into the shot.

M2E52L190-190R408B306

The Short-tailed male out on patrol as he continues establishing himself a territory.

M2E52L190-190R408B306

A last glance before disappearing down the drainage line.

M2E50L177-176R409B317

A male nyala takes a good look into the lens setting off the timer at the opportune moment.

M2E1L0-0R350B300

Can you spot the porcupine?

M2E49L174-174R410B319

Beautiful afternoon light accentuates the wrinkled skin of these two elephant.

M2E81L233-233R404B325

Take off!

Written and collected by: Andrea Campbell

Stay tuned for part 2 – coming soon!

Filed under Tracking Wildlife

About the Author

Andrea Campbell

Field Guide

Andrea has an energy that is hard to match. It's difficult to find anything in the bush that she doesn't get excited about, whether it's the molluscs in the Sand River, setting up camera traps all over the show to try and capture ...

More stories by Andrea

14 Comments

on If the Trees had Eyes: Camera Traps in the Field
    David Bourceraud says:

Thank you Andrea for those secrets moments of animal life when our backs are turned. Excellent and interesting idea I look forward to part 2. Porcupine found on the right !!! I just hope there are not the same camera for the guests in the camp… ahahah

Andrea Campbell says:

Thanks David. Definitely none in camp although I am sure they would prove just as entertaining! I am glad you spotted the porcupine.

James Crookes says:

What a great idea Andrea, fascinating to see what goes on when no one is around. Look forward to the next instalment!

Andrea Campbell says:

Thanks James, I’m glad you enjoyed the photos.

Marinda Drake says:

Wow! This is amazing. Amazing how clear the images are. Love it, can’t wait for more.

Bob Wheeler says:

Excellent. I have a camera trap in California to watch the deer, coyotes and foxes on the street. I was wondering if you folks had given it a try. We’ll be there TOMORROW for our long Waited 12 days. Can’t wait to see everybody and Londo again!!

Andrea Campbell says:

Thanks Bob! We look forward to having you back here.

Kim Beasley says:

Very cool!

Jill Grady says:

Wow, what a great idea Andrea! That is one busy drainage line! I love the sneak peek at what goes on when no one is around – very interesting. I can’t wait to see part 2!

Rich Laburn says:

What an awesome variety of animals, thank you for sharing

TED SWINDON says:

HI ANDREA,
    WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA! WELL DONE, THIS IS SUCH AN INNOVATIVE IDEA.
    I SPONSOR A CAMERA AT THE INGWE LEOPARD PROJECT IN MPUMALANGA, SO IF THERE IS A NEED FOR AN ADDITIONAL CAMERA TO BE SPONSORED, THEN I AM HAPPY TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS CAUSE.
    I WILL BE THERE IN JULY, SO WILL BE HAPPY TO DISCUSS THIS SHOULD THERE BE AN INTEREST TO HAVE ANOTHER CAMERA PLACED AT A STRATEGIC POINT ON THE PROPERTY.
    KEEP WELL. TED.

Andrea Campbell says:

Hi Ted! I am so glad you have enjoyed the blog. Another camera would be fantastic as I have so many ideas for potential projects and places to put them that having more than one would be amazing. We can chat in July and make a plan then. I look forward to it!

mj says:

What a great idea.. Love the cam traps!

Judy B. says:

Love seeing what the animals do when no one is looking. Great pictures. Thank you, Andrea!