Introducing: Majingilane – The Story of Lion Warfare

A male lion takeover is a hard reality of the wilderness. Since the 8th June 2010, when the Majingilane Coalition arrived in the Sabi Sands and began to take control from the Mapogo coalition, the rangers, trackers and guests of Londolozi and its surrounding properties have witnessed this reality.  This film is a visual representation of how a male lion takeover takes place using the story of the Majingilane Coalition as the subject matter. This is the story of Lion Warfare.

This film would not have been possible without the contribution and permissions of the following individuals to use their footage, much of it shot at the actual events taking place during the course of the takeover. My sincere thanks goes to the following people for their footage:

Adam Bannister – Londolozi Ranger
John Varty – Londolozi Co-Founder
Brian Anderson – Nkhoro Guest
John Holley – Londolozi Ranger
David Dampier – Londolozi Ranger
David Ford – Londolozi Guest
James Weis – Eyes on Africa
Rex Miller – Londolozi Ranger
Rob Jansen – Londolozi Guest
Dawn Judd – Londolozi Guest

Majingilane-The Story of Lion Warfare

The Majingilane Coalition are in full force as we speak. They are a formidable yet incredible force of nature to witness from the safety of a game drive vehicle. Come to Londolozi and see these magnificent creatures living out their lives…you won’t regret it. ENQUIRE NOW

Filed under Guests Wildlife

About the Author

Rich Laburn

Head of Digital

Rich is the driving force behind Londolozi’s online storytelling and the Londolozi blog. His passions of digital media, film and photography, combined with his field-guiding background, have seen him take the Londolozi blog to new heights since he began it in 2009. Rich ...

More stories by Rich

on Majingilane – The Story of Lion Warfare
    Sheena says:

WOW Rich I was glued to the screen – fabulous film, congrats to all who contributed – AMAZING final
    shots that close down the last chapter, leaving us shuddering and begging for more! Bravo!

Linda says:

That was freaking fantastic. Well done Rich and all the guys. That last scene at 13:45 with the four of them roaring together gave my goosebumps. The best thing I have seen in ages. Thanks heaps!!!!!

rich says:

I agree, the final scene is incredible. My thanks goes to Dawn Judd for filming it so beautifully. rich

Pat Haines says:

Fantastic, what a great film, thank you .

Terry says:

Well worth the wait. Incredible footage and narrative. Better then NatGeo! Can’t wait for the next chapter in this amazing saga.

Cinzia says:

This is just mind blowing Rich! Well done!

John Holley says:

Amazing amazing work Rich! Well done

Lisa says:

Excellent Rich. How you were able to narrow it down to 15 min is amazing. So much has gone on with these guys so that wasn’t an easy editing job at all. Loved this mini doc very much. The ending was especially fantastic with their territorial roars. Very nicely done. :-) I am sure I speak with many in saying that I would love to see more about the lions of the Sabi Sands.

rich says:

Thank you Lisa, I will most certainly look into putting out more videos about the other lions in the Sabi Sands. It is big piece of wilderness with a number of prides and coalitions throughout, however lets see what happens. Thanks for your comments, rich

Geri Potter says:

That was AMAZING, PHENOMENAL!!! I wish I had a bigger, better, more expansive word! Thank you and great job!

Terry P. says:

Absolutely riveting! Fantastic film footage. Thank you very much for sharing the excellent work. Can’t wait for the next one!

Juan Jose Rubio Coque says:

Thank you for this awesome video. Since today there will not be a day when I do not desire to visit Londolozi to meet the Majingis. I like specially the last footage with all the four Majingis roaring together.

pete says:

Rich, fabulous piece of filming, writing, editing etc. It captures the awesome power, yet frailty of these magnificent, majestic creatures. It deserves to be viewed widely.

Doug says:

Great work! Looking forward to seeing more…

Anat says:

Fantastic !!!!
    And released today – great birthday present for me :)

rich says:

Happy Birthday Anat, I hope it was a great day for you. rich

Penny says:

Congratulations Rich! Incredible filming! Look forward to many more.

Heather Fleeger says:

This is absolutely spectacular! Thank you so much; the work you all did on this fabulous. It is moving and powerful. Especially for those that have been to Londolozi and spent time with these lions-to see their story on film runs deep.

Fred & Robin says:

Excellent Job to all. Thank you for sharing.

Sybella M-S says:

Just incredible, so powerful and moving, well done to all involved, cant wait for the next chapter…xx

Kobus Muller says:

Brilliant, Thank You.

Andrew Charlton says:

Well done! Absolutely awesome visuals and footage!

shan says:

Just when I thought I had seen it all! This is great. I was captivated. Well done to the team.
    Rich you are a real talent.

Diane Wales Baillie says:

Just superb- very powerful and spectacular – thank you to all involved

Marc Shilleto says:

fantastic film,very well done

THELMA says:

Rich, is it true that this bad boys killed new tailless female? I found this article…
    On Nov 12th, 2010, Londolozi reported finding the Half Tail sub adult female dead near a Giraffe carcass that the four Majingilane males were on. It was apparent that the males had killed her. The Golf Course male was also found dead several days prior to this. It seems he could no longer fend for himself with his disabilities, the beatings he took from the Majingilanes while trying to encroach their kills, and the strong possibility he may have had Bovine Tuberculosis.

Shigueru says:

Just a question…
    Is it all about Rich´s filming skills or is it about the lions?
    I see comments about the colros, time gap, and visiting the place, but only Thelma here is pointing about the liones D:
    So sorry, i´m not familiar with your job here, i may be mistaken, but, what about the lions?
    Is any body taking action about those outisde males killing local ones?

rich says:

Good question Shigueru and you are right..the story is about the Majingilane Coalition and has little to do with myself. I am not sure, however, that I understand your questions and what action you are wanting people to take in regard to outside males killing local ones. Perhaps you could help me further understand what you would like to know about the lions (specifically which ones) and what action you think should be taken? Forgive me in assuming that you are aware that Londolozi is in a wilderness area and we allow nature to take its course as it has done for many millennia. Look forward to your thoughts and further answering your questions.

rich says:

Hi Thelma, can you point me in the direction of where you found this information and which ‘New Tailless female’ you are referring too? As it stands, there is the original Tailless female from the Tsalala pride and the New Tailless female (who lost her tail quite recently –
    As for the male who passed away in Oct/Nov 2010 you can read about him here:

Look forward to your response and helping you understand the complex dynamics of these lions further. rich

Adam Bannister says:

Thelma, let me see if I can help you out here. I am a ranger here at Londolozi. Okay so the incident that I think you are referring to is when a clan of hyena caught the sub adult lioness from the tsalala Pride. This was a female who was fathered by Mapogo and NOT by Majingilane. She survived the hyena attack loosing half her tail in the incident. She continued to struggle forward surviving for a month after the incident. Eventually she was killed by the Majingilane Males very close to the scene where they had been feeding on a giraffe. As for the Golf Course Male, if that is who he was…yes he died but was not actually killed by a lion. Perhaps he was sick and died of TB, we will never know. We watched him deteriorate over about 10 months and this coincided perfectly with the entire Mapogo-Majingilane takeover. I hope this answers your question. Adam

rich says:

You can read about the incident with the Hyena and Lioness here:

Geri Potter says:

I am confused…so the new ‘Tailless Female’ WAS killed? Did her 1 remaining cub servive or waas she killed as well? So, that leaves the 1 sister and her 4 cubs (who are approaching their firsts birthday) correct?

rich says:

Hi Geri, the old Tailless female and the new tailless female are still around forming the Tsalala pride with one other female. There are four cubs from the other female and 1 cub from the new tailless female.

The incident we are referring to has been confused by the labeling of the sub-adult lioness from the Tsalala pride (in October 2010) as a tailless female.

James Weis says:

Rich – very cool stuff. Makes me want to come back for more.
    Also great job on the video – I like the color cast – makes it a bit more dramatic for sure.

rich says:

Thanks James and thank you for your contribution to the Sparta pride scenes. Good to hear you liked the color cast – most definitely gave it a unique feeling of drama. rich

arden zalman says:

Thank you again for bringing me back to Londolozi & the magnificent beasts.

rich says: